mardi 6 mai 2008

Chicken biryani (breyani)

Ingredients
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 large onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
1 teaspoon salt
2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 - 1.5kg boneless, skinless chicken pieces cut into chunks

.
Spices
1 teaspoon powdered cardamom
1 stick of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3 whole cloves
1 teaspoon star anise
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
(Note : The above spices are also available and packaged as a ready-made biryani mix in most supermarkets or spice shops)

.
Rice
1 large onion, diced
1 teaspoon masala (usually sold as biryani masala)
5 cardamom pods
1 small stick of cinnamon
500g basmati rice
4 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
.
Method
In a large skillet, fry potatoes in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil until brown, drain and set aside. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the skillet and fry onion, garlic and ginger until onion is soft and golden. Add spices, salt and the tomatoes.

Fry, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until the tomatoes are cooked soft.
It may be necessary to add a little hot water if the mixture becomes too dry and begins to stick to the pan.
When the mixture is thick and smooth, add the chicken pieces and stir well to coat them with the spice mixture.

Cover and cook over very low heat until the chicken is tender, approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
Wash rice well and drain in colander.
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and add onion and cook until brown. Stir in the masala, cardamom and cinnamon and then add the rice.

Stir continuously until the rice is coated with the oil.
In a medium-size pot, heat the chicken stock and salt.

When the mixture is hot pour it over the rice and stir well.
Add the chicken mixture and the potatoes, then gently mix them into the rice. Bring to boil.
Cover the saucepan tightly, turn heat to very low and steam for 20 minutes.

Do not lift lid or stir while cooking. After about 20 minutes the biryani should be ready to be served.

1 commentaire:

ChơnNghiêm Kitchenaid a dit…

Your blog is awsome!
"Fine Food and Poetry" - A perfect combination.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Tracy/Kitchenaid - "Daily Happiness" blog is really my daily happiness. Simple and easy daily Vietnamese home cook meals. Yes, I'm Vietnamese and I use my native language in my blog.
I'm so sorry not to respond to you sooner and also deeply apologized that you couldn't read most of my recipes.
If there some dishes that you wish to know more about, feel free to contact me - I'll try my best English to translate them(!).
Thank you for taking times brousing through my blog. I'll also take times trying some of your recipes soon.

Yes, happy blogging to you too.
KA.